THE EFFECT OF THE FACTORY ON SAN PEDRO DE MACORIS.
The industrial area on the Northern edge of the city has had a major effect on the urban environment that surrounds it. The factory has provided jobs and as a result, and increase in the number of people needing to live in the area. This has led to the development of the large organic housing development, which delivers low cost, informal, slum-like living conditions. This has in turn led to the perception of the city being transformed and numerous perceived edges developing in the area. There is a clear segregation between the organic and planned areas and this indicates the difference in the demographic that inhabits each space. The industrial development and the growth of the sugar industry have led to the change of San Pedro de Macoris’s identity, from small fishing village, to industrial city and sugar hub of the Dominican Republic.
SOURCES USED IN THE PROJECT.
- Gehl, Jan. 2010. Cities for People. Island Press.
- Carmona, 2010. Public places, Urban Spaces. 2nd edition. Elsevier Limited.
- Kaspirin, Ron. 2011. Urban Design: The Composition of Complexity. Routledge.
- Herzog, Lawrence. 2006. Return to the Centre: Culture, Public Spaces and City Building in a Global Area. University of Texas Press. Accessed 18/04/2013. http://books.google.com.au/books?id=VyjL_E2q6UoC&pg=PA122&lpg=PA122&dq=Spanish+City+settlement+design&source=bl&ots=9dSklvCEAs&sig=IyWmlo_Oc5XI5ByCeX8Qanz89ZM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=HmxvUZCDBe-viQfO2YCQCw&ved=0CF8Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=Spanish%20City%20settlement%20design&f=false
- Lynch, Kevin. 1960. The Image of the City. MIT Press.
- History of San Pedro de Macoris. 2013. San Pedro de Macoris. Macorisserie Magazine. Accessed 15/04/2013.http://www.macorisserie23.com/san-pedro/san-pedro-de-macoris
- San Pedro de Macoris. n.d. Accessed 16/04/2013. http://www.redpodercomunitario.org/Provincias/SanPedrodeMacoris/SanPedrodeMacoris.htm
- Ted Talks. 2012. Kent Larson: Brilliant Designs to fit more people in every city. Posted September 2012. Accessed 18/04/2013. http://www.ted.com/talks/kent_larson_brilliant_designs_to_fit_more_people_in_every_city.html
- Badger, Emily. 2012. The Evolution of Urban Planning. Sourced From: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/design/2012/11/evolution-urban-planning-10-diagrams/3851/
- Martinez Lemoine, Rene. 2011. The Classic Model of Spanish Colonial Cities. Sourced from: http://www.scribd.com/doc/54220117/The-classical-model-of-the-Spanish-American-colonial-city-Martinez-Rene
- Abu El-Ela, Manal. 2003. Cultural Globalisation and Changes in the Urban Form of Cities. Sourced from: http://www.kas.de/upload/dokumente/megacities/Kairo-Studie.pdf