HISTORY AND GENERAL INFORMATION.
San Pedro de Macoris was originally a fishing village, founded in 1785 along the banks of the Macoris River. The original name of the town was Mosquitisol, however, this was changed to San Pedro de Macoris in honour of General Pedro Santana (San Pedro de Macoris, n.d.). The city grew steadily during the early 18th century due to the influx of Haitian and Cuban immigrants, many trying to escape the political unrest in their respective homelands. This led to the development of the sugar industry in San Pedro de Macoris, as the immigrants brought with them an extensive knowledge of the industry. Sugar Cane cultivation began in 1868 and the city soon became the Dominican Republic’s main sugar centre.
The growth of the sugar industry may have led to the development of San Pedro de Macoris’s urban form. The city displays large organic spaces as well as large areas that are clearly planned. San Pedro de Macoris has a strong relationship with both the Macoris River and the Caribbean Sea and this indicates towards the origins of the original settlement.
The Dominican Republic is a former Spanish colony and this is clearly evident in the urban form of San Pedro de Macoris. Spanish settlements traditionally follow a structured layout, and a grid pattern. This is evident in parts of San Pedro de Macoris and thus, the areas that were first developed can be identified. This also highlights the fact that the erratic, organic spaces within the city were a later addition, possibly due to the growing sugar industry.
The above map displays the urban landscape of the city in 1988, outlined in green and 2006, outlined in red.
A Historical Analysis of San Pedro de Macoris is shown Below.
The above images clearly depict the origin of the city and its growth in the past 20 years. This reinforces the notion that the central planned area was first established and the organic areas were later additions due to the growing sugar industry.